Terms and Election Dates
All members of Council are elected to office for a term of four years. Reeves are elected at large by all voters, and councillors are elected only by voters qualifying to vote in their division. Your property tax notice contains information about your voting division. Please contact the municipal office to discuss if you have any questions regarding either running for Council, and Election Procedures.
Municipal Elections are held every two years. Election dates have been moved to the 2nd Wednesday in November effective 2020. However, should the 2nd Wednesday fall on Remembrance Day, elections will be held on the Monday prior.
The next municipal election will be held on Wednesday November 9, 2022 for the offices of Division 2, Division 4, and Division 6 Councillors
**A by-election may be called if a councillor or reeve position becomes vacant before the next election date.**
To be eligible to vote, you must:
- be at least 18 year old;
- be a Canadian citizen; and
- qualify as one of the following:
- a resident in the R.M. of Marriott for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of the election;
- the registered owner (or purchaser under a bona fide agreement for sale) of land in the R.M. of Marriott;
assessed with respect to land in the R.M. of Marriott under a lease, license, permit, or contract in agreement with the registered owner;
- assessed with respect to an improvement in the R.M. of Marriott;
- hold a permit in the R.M. of Marriott with respect to a trailer or mobile home;
- a spouse of a person mentioned in one of the clauses above; or
- the chief executive officer of a duly incorporated co-operative, corporation or religious association that is assessed on the last revised assessment roll with respect to property in the R.M. of Marriott that is not exempt from taxation.
Voting typically takes place at a polling station set up at the R.M. office in Rosetown, SK.
**All voters are required to provide proof of identity**
You are eligible for nomination as a candidate for municipal office if you are:
- at least 18 years old on Election Day;
- a Canadian citizen;
- eligible to vote in the R.M. of Marriott; and
- a resident of Saskatchewan
You require at least two voters to sign your candidate nomination paper. If you are seeking nomination as the reeve, the nominators may be any voter in the rural municipality. If you are running as a councillor, the nominators must be eligible to vote in the division you wish to represent.
For more information please contact the office or view the Saskatchewan Local Government Election Act (2015)